The Empty Chair and a tale of a brief encounter ...

*



Hi Folks,


Having read a few of my favourite bloggers comments recently I get the impression that Professor Hawking's recent comments had caused a bit of a 'stooshie' (i.e. Lilly at Lilly's Life and Suranga at Gappa). I then received 'The Empty Chair' in my email post this morning. After reading the comments generated by the posts on these very wise ladies blogs I feel that the professor is kind of out of step with what is believed by the majority of folk in regard to what happens after death and whether or not there is a heaven ...

The Empty Chair ...

A man's daughter asked the local priest to come and pray with her father. When the priest arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows. An empty chair sat beside his bed. The priest assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit. "I guess you were expecting me, he said. 'No, who are you?" said the father. The priest told him his name and then remarked, "I saw the empty chair and I figured you knew I was going to show up,"

"Oh yeah, the chair," said the bedridden man. "Would you mind closing the door?" Puzzled, the priest shut the door. "I have never told anyone this, not even my daughter," said the man. "But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At temple I used to hear the priest talk about prayer, but it went right over my head so I abandoned any attempt at prayer," the old man continued, "until one day four years ago, my best friend said to me, "Jagjit, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with GOD. Here is what I suggest." "Sit down in a chair; place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see GOD on the chair. It's not spooky because he promised, 'I will be with you always'. "Then just speak to him in the same way you're doing with me right now.” "So...... I tried it and I've liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I'm careful though if my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair she'd either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm."

Then he prayed with him, anointed him with oil, and returned to the temple. The priest was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old man to continue on the journey. Two nights later the daughter called to tell the priest that her father had died that afternoon.

Did he die in peace?" he asked. Yes, when I left the house about two o'clock, he called me over to his bedside, told me how much he loved me and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But there was something strange about his death. Apparently, just before he died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed.

What do you make of that?" The priest wiped a tear from his eye and said, "I wish we could all go like that."

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

My own weird happening was this which I had blogged about on 15th April, 2008...

My own brief encounter ...

This took place and yet ... there are times when I still wonder if it really did happen. It was well over forty years ago and although it was so long ago it still seems as real as when it happened ...

I had just come home for lunch from work and I needed to collect some paperwork for the bank as I had to call there before returning to the Hospital where I worked in the Office . I was in a bit of a hurry and quickly locked the front door and ran out of the entryway to the close. I was so quick that I didn't see someone running in the opposite direction. You can guess what happened - we bumped into one another and then we apologised and she said something to me that made me 'stop and stare at her' ..... I heard her say "You have been told that you won't be able to have children recently, but don't believe it ! If you pray to Saint Jude it will happen " Well ! after I gathered my thoughts and realised what had happened and had a look around I realized that I was standing there on my own - I could not see her anywhere ....

As background to the foregoing I must admit that I had been told just previously that I would not be able to give birth myself .... the news that I would not be able to have children was very hard to take . I won't go into the reasons why it was not possible for me to give birth but it was indeed medically impossible. As far as St Jude was concerned I found out just after this encounter that she is apparently the Saint who is the one which helps people with 'the impossible causes' I made it my business to find out you see just after my meeting with my 'Messenger'.

Now, all these years later I can look at my two sons that we adopted and in turn their kids - my Grandchildren of whom I am so proud - I wonder if she was indeed a 'Messenger' to let me know that something would happen so that I would be able to have a family even although it seemed to be hopeless and impossible .

Did it really happen ? Did someone really tell me that I would be granted the joy of children and grandchildren ? It definitely was a very important subject to me - I always was one of these children who loved babies and children from I was very young and the thought of 'not' having kids in my life filled me with emptyness and dread. Being the eldest of five children I was used to helping to care for 'wee ones' - never mind my gathering of dolls and the 'Teddy' of my childhood.

So Lilly, keep yer chin up pal ...... "there is more in Heaven and Earth Horatio than are dreamt of in your philosophy"..... and so as far as the professor is concerned - he is not privy to the font of 'all' knowledge !



Love and Peace, Kate xxx.