Another Scam and Blethers...




Hi Folks,


I got this in an email from my Brother in law who had heard about the latest scam operating here in the U.K. at the moment - be warned ......

Just received a call from a 'representative' of BT, (British Telecom) informing me that he was dis-connecting me because of an unpaid bill. He demanded payment immediately of £31.00, or it would be £ 118.00 to re-connect at a later date. The guy wasn't even stopped when I told him I was with Talktalk, allegedly Talktalk have to pay BT a percentage for line rental! I asked his name - he gave me the very 'English' John Peacock with a very 'African' accent - and phone number - 0800 0800 152 0800 0800 152 .

Obviously the fellow realized I didn't believe his story, so offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. I asked how & he told me to hang up & try phoning someone - he would dis-connect my phone to prevent this. AND HE DID !! My phone was dead - no engaged tone, nothing - until he phoned me again.

Very pleased with himself, he asked if that was enough proof that he was with BT. I asked how the payment was to be made & he said credit card, there & then. I said that I didn't know how he'd done it, but I had absolutely no intention of paying him, I didn't believe his name or that he worked for BT.

He hung up. I Dialled 1471 and phoned his fictitious 0800 number - which was not recognised. I then phoned the police to let them know. I wasn't the first! It's only just started apparently, but it is escalating. Their advice was to let as many people as possible know of this scam. The fact that the phone does go off would probably convince some people it's real, so please make as many friends and family aware of this.

Blethers ...

Changing tack a whean ... I'm definitely going doolally ! I got a letter recently from my dentist on Saturday about missing an appointment and advising me that I had now a fine of £20 to pay because I had missed it! Stupid bat that I am - somehow I had misunderstood the date of said appointment and had thought it was on the same date as Rob's last one and when I had spoken to the dentist that day he told me I was mistaken. Instead of checking with the receptionist that day I had just forgot about it - put it down to old age ! Rob and I called at the dentist yesterday where I was relieved of the said £20 and was given another appointment arrghhh !

After my loss of the twenty quid, Rob and I went awandering round the shops and one of the charity shops had a second hand (but A1 condition) dishwasher (small version which does an 6 person setting). Have I mentioned before that I had had a dishwasher in the dim and distant past and ended up including it in the sale of our last house?? ( I did ) sob sob ... and have I missed it ?? too darn right I have - anyway, the shop were charging £50 for it and so Rob and I ended up taking it home to our house pronto where our next door neighbour was helpful enough with his Dad to actually lift it up into our flat soooooo..... roll on having a dishwasher and cleared work surfaces in my kitchen someday soon - Yeehah! I can't wait...






Cheers from the land of the Tartan, Love Kate xxx.