Poems films and daydreaming about heroes and heroines...

Violette's daughter Tania after accepting her mother's medals...


Violette Szabo - Who was awarded the George Cross and The Croix de Guerre ...


Hi Folks,


I was checking out some of my favourite blogs this morning and while in June Saville's blog I came across a wee poem sitting off to the side of her comments today and wondered where I had seen a poem like it - or what poem it reminded me of - do you ever get moments like these when something rings a bell with you and points your mind off in another direction ? Well - I get them all the flippen time and the problem is that if I don't act on it the opportunity and the thought is gone .... Old age you see !

Well anyway, the poem on June's sidebar was this -

"The life I touch for good or ill
will touch another life,
and that in turn another,
until who knows where the trembling stops
or in what far place my touch will be felt. "
Author Unknown...

For ages it rumbled around in my brain and then realization dawned - it reminded me of a poem in an old ' fantastic but true' story in the film - Carve Her Name With Pride... made when the world was still in black and white . Now I am well aware that people under the age of fifty will probably not have a clue what the hair-oil I am talking about - but this true story film had such an effect on me that for years I wanted to be that girl 'Violette Szabo' who died after having done so much for us, she suffered a lot - Ohhhhh... I wept buckets watching the film and after it - and to be honest even now, as I read the poem I remember parts of the film and weep again - It was a wonderful true story and some of her story is shown if you Google her name on the 'net... or click the connection below.

"In 1958 Virginia McKenna had top billing on the posters for Carve Her Name With Pride, and was nominated for a BAFTA Award for Best Actress for her role as Violette Szabo. But these days Virginia insists that the other star of the film was what’s known as Violette’s poem code – The Life That I Have. "

The poem was written by codemaster Leo Marks, and was used by her as a code poem whilst she was on a mission in occupied France.

Related Articles
Review: Carve Her Name With Pride
Leo Marks
The Life that I have Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours
and yours.

I have set up a video here which shows the actress Virginia McKenna (Violette in the film) reciting the poem along with further information ... Every time I hear or read it the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Virginia McKenna recites 'The Life That I Have' - Telegraph

The next video shows Virginia McKenna talking about Violette and also Violette's daughter talking about the making of the film 'Carve Her Name With Pride' ..

The real Charlotte Grays - Telegraph

It's probably something that most children go through ' daydreaming that they could be the hero or heroine told about in a great story, ' boys when they are growing up want to be a hero like John Wayne in the old cowboy films or other somesuch ..... The difference between the two of course is that one was acting a part whereas she lived the story.




Cheers from the land of the Tartan and the Heather, Love Kate xxx.
P.S. I also remember wanting to be the the Nun in 'The Nun's Story' too and Ohh! to look like Audrey Hepburn hmmmm.... I wished sooo hard ! Did it work ? Did it heck as like !!