Dreams / Death of a Salesman / My Dad.


Dreams ...

A Motivational story for any age...

The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that that lit up her entire being. She said, "Hi, handsome. My name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?" I laughed and enthusiastically responded, "Of course you may!" and she gave me a giant squeeze. "Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?" I asked. She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, have a couple of children, and then retire and travel." "No seriously," I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age. "I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!" she told me. After class we walked to the student union building and share a chocolate milkshake. We became instant friends.

Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this "time machine" as she shared her wisdom and experience with me. Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up. At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor. Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, "I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me!

I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know." As we laughed she cleared her throat and began: "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. "You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die. We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!" "There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up. If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight. Anybody can grow older.

That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding the opportunity in change." "Have no regrets. The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets." She concluded her speech by courageously singing The Rose. She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the years end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago. One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep. Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.

* I'm no spring chicken, and since reading this article I 'really' want to be Rose when I grow up - what's the chances d'ya think ?
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

*** Death of a Salesman ...

A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, only to be confronted by a well dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner. "Good morning" said the young man. "If I could take a couple of minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in high powered vacuum cleaners." "Go away", said the old lady. "I haven't got any money. I'm broke", and she proceeded to closer the door. Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door, and pushed it wide open. "Don't be too hasty", he said. "Not until you have at least seen my demonstration." And with that, he emptied a bucket of horse manure onto her hallway carpet.
"If this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse manure from your carpet, madam, I will personally eat the remainder."
The old lady stepped back and said, "Well I hope you've got a good appetite, because they cut off my electricity this morning."

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
Here's a wee intriguing video which I was sent by my brother-in-law and when I tried to load it here it refused to do so, I did succeed in finding it in another blog - Doc's Place so I hope 'Doc' doesn't mind me having 'pinched' it for a wee while - Thanks !
Doc's Place - Sam the Bell Hop

I never could get to grips with playing cards, my brain isn't wired to numbers you see I'd rather read half a dozen books about allsorts of subjects than let someone 'try' and teach me a game of cards. Years ago when I was about 10 yrs old my Dad tried to teach me the intricacies of poker, brag or some such card game and he ended up losing the head and giving up - Thank God! Most Sunday nights after teatime he would attempt to engage us kids in card games - I doubt if the others - well maybe D was interested ? Anyway, none of us actually got into these games and always, without fail it would end up an argument about who won, who didn't, or who should have ...... I think he would have loved us all to be interested in cards - probably was harking back to his younger days when he, like millions of his friends from his 'younger days' would play in other peoples houses...

Actually Rob 'cos he is 'soooo much older than me' (a whole 10 years ) talks about how 'he' used to play cards in folks houses too when he was a teenager, he has blethered about card nights and the laughs he had - the games sometimes went on for hours - to me this seems absolute madness, but each to his own... We are talking here of card games going on literally for hours. He would go out 'dancing the evening away' and then call in at home at midnight then go over to his mates house and play cards till the morning - then he would go home wash up and go off to work ..... It was a different age then !

Blimey I've just realized - I married my old Dad hehe... There are certain similaries mind you, Rob has the same devil may care attitude to things ( and the sparkle in his eyes ) but also a lot of my Dad's good points. For the last year or so I have been collecting stories and different facts about Dad and attempting to write a wee book about him. I never seem to have enough time to spend on it though so, when it will get finished is the 64,000 dollar question.



Cheers from the land of the Tartan and the Heather, Love Kate xxx.