Smells / Teenagers / Shirley / Wise Words/ Baby Gracie.

In the days when we dressed to go to a wedding as guests more or less like our parents ......... We were only 20 yrs. old.


Hi Folks,

As well as blogging yesterday about Anne and her dog Meg and how dogs have a fantastic sense of smell I had also been having a read of my favourite blogs. I came across Grumpy's blog and she had been talking about smells too... I think the 'smell' which most affects me is Bourgois Muguet du Bois (Lily of the Valley). That one in particular brings back memories of when I was a teenager and going to the dances run by the Youth Fellowship of our local church.

I was only 17 yrs old and in the hey-day of the Beatles etc it was a fantastic time to be a teenager mind you, it was only at that time that was was such a group of kids which were called teenagers I think. Before that it appeared to me that all the folk of teenage years just looked like wee mini-me's of their parents. OOps, made a blunder there, there were of course the Elvis Presley kids, but to be honest they seemed to be all centred around USA and were not so much in evidence in the UK...

Here in the U.K. there were loads of pop groups who were playing in and around Liverpool and were known as being part of the Mersey Sound, Gosh it was a great time to be young and every time I go into a Boots store in any of the main shopping centres I always have a stop and a 'skoosh' of Lily of the Valley and I am instantly transported back to the dances at the local youth club.

Now, to get back to the matter in hand - what smell sends you back to the past and in what connection ?
~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
My friend Shirley is a college lecturer and for the last week she's been working with students who unfortunately didn't get the exam marks they hoped for in the summer. She says the class has been surprisingly quiet as students focused on the lessons and did some serious work.

Looking at the tops of all those industrious heads was inspiring for Shirley as a teacher and watching them try to turn their fortunes around has been a real delight. She reckons those hard-working young folk have a lesson for us all and it's summed up perfectly in the old saying. "You don't fail if you fall, you only fail if you don't get back up again!"

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
It's wise, now and then, to remind ourselves that man does not know it all. That brilliant mind, Albert Schweitzer, put it this way: "As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious."

A Lesson in Gratitude
"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us."~ Albert Schweitzer



Cheers from the land of the Tartan, Love Kate xxx.

P.S. Great news from Jo at Moodscapes, Baby Gracie has been tested again and they have found that she is not now suffering from smooth brain syndrome . It's wonderful news ! It is said that God works in mysterious ways and I for one believe that there are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in anyone's Philosophy. (yeah I know I have misquoted, but it fits). I do believe in miracles though ... So baby Gracie, God Bless, from another branch of the Gracie Family living on the other side of the Pond, in the land of the Tartan and the Heather..