Obscure



From this weekend's required reading:

The second source of (iii) is that A may be ignorant of some element in S. But we should notice that an unknown element in S, D, will provide a reason for A to φ only is φ-ing is rationally related to D; that is to say, roughly, a project to φ could be the answer to a deliberative question formed in part by D. [where A is the agent, S is his subjective motivational set, D is some member of S and φ is a verb of action]

[Bernard Williams -- Internal and external reasons]
[After reading to the end, things become clearer (and more like prose), but still -- I have such a hard time with this sort of reading]


From my non-required reading:

"Isabel sat up. Now was the moment, now she must decide. Would she go with them, or stay here and write to William. Which, which should it be? 'I must make up my mind.' Oh, but how could there be any question? Of course she would stay and write.

'Titania!' piped Moira.

'Isa-bel?'

No it was too difficult. 'I'll -- I'll go with them, and write to William later. Some other time. Later. Not now. But I shall certainly write,' thought Isabel hurriedly.

And, laughing in the new way, she ran down the stairs.

[K. Mansfield's 'Marriage a la mode']