More findings

[Yamamoto]

Today I turned around in my chair and took a good look at the books on the shelves behind me.

This is embarassing -- I sit in a tiny room on my grandfather's chair with my father's books behind me and a map of the Jugolinija shipping company's sea routes on the wall. The books behind me are mostly old, an incomplete set of Encyclopedias from 1967, books on site planning, Hrvatski, and songwriting. But there's also a 1946 edition of Ulysses many small volumes by Mark Twain and Robert Frost, and then a tallish stack of books which surprised me very much.

Many of these books have library imprints or address labels, one, The Century Handbook of Writing, even has a triangular stamp on the frontispiece that states: "Loaned to the Crew by The American Seamen's Friend Society." [I wonder here if this was a book picked up by my grandfather or one of his relatives as many of the men in my Croatian family were seamen ...]

I've also extracted the following:
A 1946 Vintage Book edition of Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury
1951 Everyman's edition of JS Mill's Utilitarianism, Liberty, and Representative Government
1951 Everyman's edition of Rousseau's Social Contract and Discourses
1892 Golden Treasury edition of Keats' poems
1960 edition of Cleanth Brook's Understanding Poetry
1969 illustrated edition of Alan Moorehead's Darwin and the Beagle
1866 illustrated edition of Don Quixote
1975 Modern Book of Esthetics -- great because it can replace multiple volumes I have checked out -- I had forgotten my father was a philosophy major as an undergraduate, or rather I forgot that some of his books would be from that time.

I'm really excited about the Don Quixote -- it's in really bad shape -- very brown, crumbling pages, loose binding, missing some pages, but the illustrations are wonderful -- they're engravings done by someone named Dalziel. I couldn't find any images online but hopefully i can try and scan some of them without damaging the book any further.
Now I have to 'catalog' them and figure out which ones can survive the cross-continent trip this summer...