Briefly

[Vilhelm Hammershoi]

It's beautiful outside and the hammock is calling me to return, but I wanted to note that my dear A.N. Whitehead has popped up twice this weekend, quite unexpectedly.

In a letter from V. Woolf to V. Bell she refers to 'poisonous widow Whitehead' which, a footnote informs me, most likely refers to Whitehead's wife who was apparently scandalized by Virginia and her sister and their lifestyle and dress.

In a less frivolous format, I've recently picked up Axel's Castle by Edmund Wilson and I'm but 3 pages in when I find:

In this connection, it is illuminating to consider the explanation of the Romantic Movement given by A.N. Whitehead in his 'Science and the Modern World.' The Romantic Movement, Whitehead says, was really a reaction against scientific ideas, or rather against the mechanistic ideas to which certain scientific discoveries gave rise.


I've only just started reading this [having finished Pessoa -- finally, ecstatically -- and torn through A. Barrett's Middle Kingdom -- and temporarily shelved Milosz's Ulro], but I'm hoping to continue to see Whitehead throughout. I think I'll turn quite seriously to my notes from Process & Reality and perhaps revisit some of the concepts I discarded when working on my paper for that class.

This weekend has so far been gorgeous -- our cherry and redbud trees are at the bottom of the hill, shaded and sheltered, and so they're just starting their blooming process -- matched up with the tulips instead of the jonquils, but just as welcome. Our cats prowl around in the grass and wait for someone to come by and tie a catnip garland for them.

I'm going to miss this.