Winter's Sounds

Laura Gibson: "The Longest Day"

It's the clarity of air that I love. Night walking, hearing the leaves crunch under my feet while my eyes are turned upwards to the stars. We can see so many stars at night, a veritable wash of light across the midnight blue sky. There's a hush while the wind curls around leaves and bare branches, passing past me and sending a shiver across my skin.

Or maybe it's the silence that I love best, a silence so deep that it's tangible. As if time had stopped to hold its breath.

I love the coming of winter, everything becomes slow, steady, stark. I love hiding with a song, a book, and some warmth.

Both of the songs in this post have broken my heart. They have also sent it soaring. I hope you enjoy them.



Iron & Wine: Upwards Over the Mountain