Different

All of this heat, humidity, and haze has made me long for fall. I am not shy about professing my love for this season, most particularly the month of October (Halloween and my birthday in the same stretch of days?! How could it be any more likable). I mistily recall a poem discussing Fall's pleasures as being of the freshly-sharpened pencil variety: Reams of creamy paper, graphite flaking off your point, and an entire syllabus to dream about. One of my favorite days in college was the day I got to go to the bookstore and discover the books that I would be encountering that semester.

Along with the scholastic pleasures of Fall, I feel a little thrill every time I begin to evaluate my autumnal wardrobe. This year I am excited about grey palettes, the palest of pinks and yellows, deep veins of navy and midnight blue, heavy satin, graphic black and white accessories, cognac leather, and shots of unexpected color. I always love black and grey tights, large shaped coats (I'd like a grey one this year), and fantastic scarves. I also seem to be leaning toward a 20's vision when I imagine evening/special looks.

I'm looking especially at the Aquascutum, Celine, Balenciaga, and Emma Cook collections.

Some images I especially love, all from
style.com (I'll try and post my street style inspirations for Fall tomorrow)

Two fantastic examples of a tailored office look, the first by Aquascutum, second by Balenciaga
Two examples of a more slouchy fit, both Marni. To be honest, I prefer something between these; I like slouchy or wide-legged trousers with a really tailored and streamlined top or jacket, OR tailored, slim pants with a beautifully draped cardigan or scarf.
Two takes on the grey coat-dress: first by Preen, second by Aquascutum


More grey! But I love the way red and cognac are used in these looks; the first by Behnaz Sarafpour, second by Celine

I love these graphic dresses, the first by Temperley, the second by Derek Lam
I love the drape of the scarf here, not to mention the color burst amidst stark white and black, a favorite look of mine

Two great day to evening looks: the first by Etro, second by Emma Cook, both with my favorite color for the season
I love the flapper-vibe of the first Emma Cook dress, and the gorgeous colors of the Celine look